There are quite a few good reasons why one would build an outdoor kitchen or go for a backyard bar. And truth be told, these two outdoor structures are often combined. An outdoor kitchen builder can also make you a bar and this will expand the entertaining area. Or, provide an additional entertaining destination, if you will.
Now, the question is which one would you choose if you couldn’t have both due to space or money tightness? Or, if you want to see this whole subject from a different perspective, which structure is best?
Both outdoor bars and kitchens have their benefits and shortcomings. And so, one way to make up your mind is to see if the shortcomings of one bother you or the advantages of the other make a difference to you. Another way to decide which structure to choose is to look at your backyard. Sometimes – more often than not, the answer hides there in plain sight.
Having an outdoor kitchen is great
When it comes to outdoor kitchens, the list of advantages is rather large. If we wanted to mention the most crucial advantages of having an outdoor kitchen in the backyard, we would say the following:
• Opportunity to cook in the backyard the way we cook indoors, minus the odors
• A splendid way to entertain family and friends without making a mess in the house
• A good excuse to spend more time outside and enjoy the natural environment
• The sure way to expand the living space and create entertaining zones
Of course, the cost is always a consideration. To make matters worse in this domain, once you get started with an outdoor kitchen contractor, you may get carried away and start asking for a larger structure, more expensive materials, a greater area for the dining table and seats – anything to enjoy. That’s the advantage and disadvantage of outdoor kitchens. To build such a structure, you need to have the required space – even for a small kitchen. Don’t forget that a backyard kitchen is nearly always paired with a dining table. If you don’t have the space for all that – or the money, to be honest, you can settle for a backyard bar.
The advantage of a backyard bar
As a structure, a backyard bar has plenty of differences from an outdoor kitchen. It’s not only taller but also has less space. And so, the work area is limited due to the narrower counter.
Putting an outdoor bar in your backyard is a great idea if your space is small and there’s no room for a kitchen. Or, if your budget is tight but you still want an outdoor entertaining spot in the backyard. Now, the narrow counter of bars makes them more flexible too. And so, even if the landscape has a strange shape, the bar can be made to follow this shape without overcrowding the space. It’s much cheaper to build an outdoor bar than a kitchen, of course. But you also miss out on the old good things that come with outdoor kitchens.
How to decide on whether to get an outdoor kitchen or bar?
Let us help you think this one out in order to make a decision that you won’t regret. Here’s some food for thought and questions you should ask yourself.
• If your intention is to cook outside, the backyard bar won’t be the right choice for you – unless you don’t mind settling for a portable outdoor cooking appliance. Now, if you lack the space, talk with a local outdoor kitchen company to see if there are solutions for your backyard.
• If you are on a budget, forget the kitchen and get offers for a backyard bar.
• If you entertain friends often and have some space for a dining and cooking area, go for the outdoor kitchen.
• Of course, if you like both structures but don’t have too much space, you can still have both. Bars often attach to the counter of the kitchen and so you get both. The bar on one side, the countertop on the other side. The structure doesn’t have to be too wide but can still host both a bar and a kitchen. This way, you won’t miss out on anything and have it all – just on a smaller scale.