Backyard living spaces without furniture are not living spaces. Then again, getting any chair and any table you first find on the market and throwing it in the backyard is not the solution either. When it comes to backyards, which may have an outdoor kitchen or a bar, a pool, a pergola, or any other structure, furniture is necessary. More importantly, finding the right furniture is not only about making the backyard gorgeous but also the cozier part of the house.
What should you consider before buying backyard furniture?
1. Estimate the size of the backyard. Is this a big backyard? Does it have hidden corners you would love to use? Does it have a peculiar shape – is this a multi-level landscape?
2. Is there a wooden deck? Outdoor tiles? Concrete? Whatever covers the earth you step on, make sure it’s in good shape. If you are currently planning a backyard makeover, decide on which parts you want grass and on which parts you want a deck or interlocking pavers.
3. Consider your habits and needs. This will help you decide if you want one or more seating areas in the backyard. For example, you may want to build an outdoor bar. Or, you may have always dreamt of having a backyard kitchen. If you go for such changes, you will surely need suitable furniture – stools for the bar and a dining table with chairs for the kitchen.
4. Depending on the activities, there may be a necessity for power. If this is a big backyard, you may want to create small outdoor living rooms here and there. Make sure the backyard remodeler can transfer power so that you will have light.
5. Do you need to find furniture for the pool deck? You need to get furniture resistant to water. Also, consider the proximity of the pieces of furniture to the body of water to see if you need extra-resistant materials.
6. Speaking of resistant furniture, all pieces you buy for the backyard should be made for outdoor usage so that they will be resistant to the elements.
Backyards are great when they are convenient and cozy
With all the practical tips out of the way, let us focus on charm and your personal convenience. One way to make the backyard inviting is to follow the above tips and thus, get furniture suitable for a specific case. Chaise longue by the pool deck, for example, would be lovely. A dining table big enough to fit with comfy chairs is a must-have close to the outdoor kitchen. In other words, a backyard becomes inviting when it’s convenient – user-friendly, if you wish.
Stick to resistant materials, consistent colors, and outdoor furniture
To enhance the backyard’s charm, stick to similar colors. You can mix and match colors but don’t have many accents. Try to keep uniformity with the same color scheme. This way, the backyard will have a serene atmosphere that will invite you to stay longer. Don’t be afraid to use color, though. Some yellows or pinks popping here and there will make the backyard cheerful – just don’t overdo it.
Consider the pieces of furniture you need for the seating area. There’s a huge variety of chairs and sofas on the market. As we said, focus on the backyard’s size first to know what size furniture to buy. You don’t want to overcrowd the space. You don’t want to make a mess either. We often throw out in the backyard pieces of furniture we no longer use indoors. Don’t do that. First of all, such pieces are not suitable for outdoors. Second, you will soon walk out in the yard and see an amalgamation of non-matching furniture. Your backyard is your second living room. You want the pieces to match well and be comfortable. Try them before you buy them. Make sure the sofas are comfy. Choose easy-to-wash fabrics – resistant to stains, if possible. The whole point is to live your backyard like you should live and enjoy your home. And life comes with stains; make sure yours will only make your life tastier – not more difficult.